photo 150FB.png photo 150G.png  photo 150Twit.png  photo 150DA.png

September 27, 2015

Vancouver Toy Junkies-- Collectible Toys, Perler Bead Sprites, Custom Video Games and More!!! EEEP! (PICS)




People were already lining up to get on the show floor as we arrived on-site for the annual Vancouver Toy Junkies toy show in Vancouver Washington. 


The first table I stopped at was lined with stacks of old-school cartridges-- but if you look a little closer, you might notice something is a little amiss...

Hmmm... Seems legit.

Nah, I actually I totally love this! I didn't buy it, but I totally would've If I had a working Game Boy Advance. I used to play GBA games on my Nintendo DS Lite, but it met an...Err...Untimely demise. The guys at the this table carried specially modded and customized games ported onto vintage cartridges-- most of them look pretty believable at first glance. They also carried hard-to-find games and games from other countries. I picked up an AWESOME Nintendo 64 game from them-- but you'll have to skip to the end of this post to see that! You CAN check out their YouTube channel if you'd like at youtube.com/TheNintendoDoctor, however. Get on that!

 

As far as comics, I didn't see any key issues that were particularly exciting or unusual. The amount of graded comics was little to none as well. But as many of you know, I have a love for comics that are just a little bit peculiar, so I couldn't help snapping a shot of a couple of these unusual covers.

Why does Kitty Pryde--of all people--get a 6 issue mini-series with ol' admantium skeleton and bad attitude himself? And Frankenstein's Monster is his own Marvel character, I guess? I mean, I already knew that he was, but jeez. Actually seeing it is different. Notice he's the Monster of Frankenstein, NOT Frankenstein himself. Yes, the creature is the creature, Frankenstein is the scientist who created him. This is why everyone should read books.


Are you going to tell me these guys aren't the cutest?!? I mean, their innards are exposed and they're completely bathed in blood...But "The EWOKing Dead"? Quality craftsmanship and clever puns are what set these custom toys apart from the rest of the crowd.


I've seen perler bead sprites many times before (although, not at a toy show I must admit), but the bright, snazzy colors and familiar pixel faces catch my attention every time. Not to mention, this particular assortment included, like, literally all the things I love, making it IMPOSSIBLE for me to choose just one.

Putting the flowers in pots and creating stands to give these quirky game sprites something to actually be standing on was a nice touch. I usually see sprites that are coasters, magnets and key-chains-- like people aren't sure what to do with them once they're made. The ready to display pieces are quite refreshing-- Check out the creator's instagram, @taylor_dubbs.


So many choices! But I'll show you what I got at the end. 







To put a fun plot twist on an already long day, our vehicle broke down in Portland after the show. The above is my "I'm-stranded-in-Portland-and-was-volunteered-to-stay-with-the-car" selfie, and next to it my little brother (a video game and toy enthusiast at a tender,early age), sips a coke glamorously in the tiny office of the auto repair shop some hours later.

And now, what we've all been waiting for! :D

Check out my haul of geek goodies from the show!

 ... As they appear in front of my Legend of Zelda 2015 calendar.


This game is actually just the Japanese version of Pokemon Stadium for Nintendo 64, despite the front of the cartridge clearly touting it as "Pocket Monsters stadium 2." But seriously, how cool is that? How do I pass this up? It was the only 64 cartridge visible on the table, and it looked bad-a**.

Also, notice the back pieces? Pieces were removed so that it would be playable in American consoles-- apparently they keep the cartridge from fitting in the machine. This is actually the second Japanese game I own now, which is two more than most casual gamers... What's the 1st? "Naruto: Saikyo Ninja Daikesshu 4" -- the Japanese equivalent to Ninja Council 3 for DS, which my parents bought for me as a christmas gift ages and ages ago.




I got these little guys, too. Y'know, just because. 

And the perler sprites! Sonic, Link, and the N64 logo. I've always wanted the N64 logo on something, and now I have the logo itself to do whatever I want with. I'll probably just hang it on my wall with some of my other geek stuff for the time being until I find a better home for it. Same for link. Sonic's going on the desk.




Alright, I hope you guys had fun perusing all my photos and got a kick out of seeing some of the cool stuff I saw at the show. What's the point of buying cool stuff if nobody else gets to see and enjoy it?

I've got some cool posts planned for you guys, including what I learned as a first time vendor at Rose City Comic Con, some bargain bin comic book reviews, and more.

...

Hey, you made it to the end of the post! Isn't that something? I had complete faith in you (sorta).
Anyways, until next time!

Krystal Dawn

Twitter: KrystalDawnArt
Facebook: Krystal Dawn
Google+: Krystal Dawn
DeviantART: KrystalDawnCreates


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Translate

Looking for Something?