photo 150FB.png photo 150G.png  photo 150Twit.png  photo 150DA.png

September 28, 2016

Break's Over-- Geek Stuff from Vancouver Toy Junkies


Just over a year ago, I wrote with absolute vigor in regards to attending the Vancouver Toy Junkies Show with my dad and little brother. While I didn't know it at the time, it would be an entire calendar year-- practically to the precise date-- before I would be bothered to write another post here on this slightly delapidated and sadly neglected blog. And of course, it wouldn't be just any old blog post-- but a post recounting my attendance to the exact same toy and collectible convention I had attended the previous year.

Go figure.



While it may not seem like much to the un-trained eye, this small show floor is cram-packed with fantastic finds. While it's only my second year recounting the venture in writing, I've attended the show several times.

I'll be completely honest with you guys-- a lot of the toy shows and smallish cons I've had the opportunity to attend in the surrounding area have a habit of blurring together in my memory. You tend to see the same sort of things over and over and over, making a lot of these sorts of shows rather forgettable. 

But Toy Junkies in particular always stood out to me for two significant reasons:

Reason one-- the passion of the people involved. The vendors, volunteers and attendees alike are all there for the same reason-- they love collecting. Whether that means toys, games, or specific franchise memorbilia, they all share a common ambition and understand that zealousness of each other. You can see it in a vendor's eyes when you ask them about their favorite product on their table or from fellow attendees when you've both been drawn to the same booth display-- they get it. We're all in this one together. It reminds me a lot of the atmosphere of a comic con, but on a much smaller scale. 


And reason two: video games.

I know, I know-- much less grandiose. But still arguably valid from a personal standpoint.

Most shows will constitute a handful of leftover N64 sports titles, better-off-forgotten SNES titles and plug-and-play throw aways as "games." 

While, yes, technically, these are certainly "games," they're games that have typically been designated as leftovers for a reason. Often times they're common, cheap, uninteresting, hold little monetary value, or are just plainly not fun to play. 

That being said, this show hasn't failed yet to provide something in the video game department to pique my interest. Last year it was a table of seriously neat modded or otherwise difficult to find retro games, including a Japanese Pokemon stadium game which I promptly purchased and added to my steadily growing collection of loose N64 titles. 

This year many of the tables displayed a wide range of halfway decent titles, as well as extensive collections of various game consoles.



... I also happened across this set of dragon quest games that I really, REALLY wanted.



Oh god. My heart. I don't have to have ever played dragon quest to recognize the beautiful art of Dragon Ball Z artist Akira Toriyama gracing the covers of these Japanese games. 

I love you babies. We'll be together...Someday.

 melodiaiedail.tumblr.com





Ok, honestly now, are these godzilla-esque monsters sick, or what? The right answer is sick, btw. Jeez. I have a handful of Japanese toys (both loose and boxed) in my slowly growing collection, and I was seriously tempted into adding some kaiju to the mix. Maybe next year.

















All right-- now he moment you've all been waiting for!
You know what I'm talking about-- what in the world did Krystal buy this time?


As you can see, mostly games. In fact, all of this junk is video game-related in one way or another.



I picked up three video games: Doom 64 and Quest 64 for the N64, and Primal Rage for SNES. I own several primal rage action figures already, so I thought it'd be neat to go ahead and get the game while I'm at it. 

As you might've noticed, all these games are loose. While games displayed in unopened boxes are nice to look at, I personally prefer having something that I can actually play. I almost bought a boxed F-Zero game for SNES, but ultimately decided to spend that money on several smaller purchases.



When I was in the 2nd grade we would take trips to the third grade classrooms in school, and I remember that the third grade students had those desks that opened from the top in their classroom. We always sat in the same assigned seats. Being a generally nosy and overtly curious kid, I tried to lift the desk top when the teacher wasn't looking to get a peek inside and see what was in there. And what did I see?!? These little suckers. Needless to say, I was wildly jealous. 


And then there's this thing. I mean, where do I start?

This is a promotional VHS tape that I imagine consists of some game play and maybe a trailer for Rareware's Diddy Kong Racing. I'm pretty certain it was never the "must have title of the year," as the box unabashedly exclaims, but I love Rareware and did enjoy this title for what it was when I borrowed it from a college friend of mine. This is totally going on display. I don't know where, but I'll find room. I'll make room if need be.

So there you have it. Vancouver Toy Junkies 2016.
While it's still fresh in your mind, go check out Mechamania's recap of the show!

My writing is a tad bit rusty, to be perfectly honest-- it's been a while since I've written much of anything at all. I'm no longer writing paid articles, and I've been out of school for over a year now due to a series of circumstances. You could argue that that's all life really is, you know-- a series of circumstances.

Here's hoping the break's over!
We'll see what happens next. Until next time!

Krystal Dawn

Twitter: KrystalDawnArt
Facebook: Krystal Dawn
Google+: Krystal Dawn
DeviantART: KrystalDawnCreates


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Translate

Looking for Something?